Though New England is filled with plenty of small towns that ooze history and charm, we’ll be the first to say that none of them hold a candle to the beautiful and historic ambiance of Exeter, New Hampshire. Sure, there are plenty of things to do in Exeter, NH, to the point that it’s easy to fill your days while you’re here – but a visit to Exeter, NH is about so much more than doing things.
Rather, a trip to Exeter is about stepping away from the harried, fast-paced modern world and finding cozy places to curl up and escape the noise for a while. When you’re ready to get out and explore, you’ll find plenty of things to do in Exeter, NH waiting for you – but only when you’re ready. If you’re feeling truly adventurous, there are even more things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire, a short but stunning 18-mile stretch of coastline between Maine and Massachusetts.
But before you start worrying about all the things to do in Exeter, NH and beyond, let us first treat you to unparalleled class and elegance at our top-rated New Hampshire Bed and Breakfast. Whether you’re visiting a student at the Phillips Exeter Academy or just looking for a quiet getaway on the gorgeous Seacoast of New Hampshire, you’ll love the friendly, charming vibe of our elegant Inn.
We’re located across the street from Exeter’s famed Bandstand and a short walk away from all the top things to do in Exeter, NH. We offer exquisite accommodations, exceptional hospitality, and two of the finest restaurants in town, all under one roof. We’re a true destination; this is the year to discover us. Get ready for unforgettable trips to Exeter in 2023. Book a room at our #1-rated New Hampshire Bed and Breakfast today!
The Best Things to do in Exeter, NH in 2023
Downtown Exeter, NH sits on the banks of the beautiful Squamscott River on the Seacoast of New Hampshire. There are plenty of great things to do on the Seacoast, including visiting the charming small towns and enjoying the serene coastal beauty this area offers. The Seacoast – and Exeter in particular – is also an easy escape for many on the east coast. Our New Hampshire Bed and Breakfast in Exeter is only an hour outside Boston, and the town is also easily reached by the Amtrak Downeaster commuter train.
Though there are plenty of things to do in Exeter, NH, we know many of our guests come here solely to slow down, reconnect, and enjoy time away from the busy noise of their everyday lives. Even so, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best things to do in downtown Exeter throughout your getaways to this charming New England town in 2023.
- No visit to Exeter, NH is complete without a visit to the famed American Independence Museum. It’s housed in the Ladd-Gilman House, a National Historic Landmark. It houses an original copy of the Declaration of Independence, thousands of items from the American Revolution, and more. No wonder it’s one of the top-rated things to do in Exeter, NH!
- One of our favorite things to do in Exeter is also one of the most simple: walking through town, admiring the architecture, and noting the famous landmark buildings in town. These include Exeter Town Hall, the Phillips Exeter Academy, the Gilman Garrison House on Water Street, the historic Bandstand across the street from our hotel, not to mention the Inn by the Bandstand itself!
- While walking through downtown Exeter, don’t forget to pop into the many small shops. Some popular shops include Whirlygigs Toy Shop,Water Street Bookstore, The Colophon Book Shop, andThe Chocolatier.
- Take a walk along the gorgeous Swasey Parkway, one of the most popular things to do in Exeter, NH. It’s peaceful and beautiful and offers excellent views of the town.
- If you’re looking for more great ways to stretch your legs while in town, consider hiking the Hillzilla Trail and Red Loop in Exeter, which is part of the Henderson-Swasey Town Forest.
- Another popular walk in town is on the Philips Exeter campus – they maintain an extensive network of trails available for public use. While on campus, don’t miss a visit to the Phillips Exeter Academy Library, the largest secondary school library in the world!
- If you happen to be in town during the summer (and we recommend that you are!), then one of the most popular things to do in Exeter, NH is to listen to the live performances of the Exeter Brass Band that happen in Exeter’s historic bandstand, just across the street from our New Hampshire Bed and Breakfast.
- On a warm summer afternoon, one of our favorite things to do in Exeter, NH is to enjoy a delicious pint of beer at Sea Dog Brewing Company. It’s one of the most popular breweries in New Hampshire!
- One of the best things to do in Exeter, NH for art lovers is to visit the Art Up Front Street Studios and Gallery.
- When the sun is shining, one of our favorite things to do in Exeter, NH is to walk the scenic Exeter River Trail. You can also kayak along this same stretch of river.
9 More Things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire
No matter the season you visit, there are always plenty of great things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire. Part of this, of course, includes enjoying all of the things to do in Exeter that we listed above. But given the Seacoast is just 18 miles long, getting out of Exeter and enjoying the other charming towns along the coast are just as easy and worth your while!
Though we certainly wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to get cozy and stay close to our New Hampshire Bed and Breakfast for the duration of your time on the Seacoast, we also wouldn’t blame you for wanting to get out and explore this fantastic area. There are so many wonderful things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire, and we’ve included a few of our favorites below!
- Aside from exploring the various charms of Exeter, NH, one of our favorite things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire is to visit the vibrant city of Portsmouth, where you’ll find even more great things awaiting you!
- Visit the Strawberry Banke Museum in Portsmouth, where more than 300 years of history are brought to life.
- Visit the gorgeous Fuller Gardens, a stunning example of a turn-of-the-century estate garden.
- Take a hike and enjoy the coastal beaches at Odiorne State Park.
- Head to Hampton Beach, one of the most popular beaches in New Hampshire.
- Take Scenic Drives through the countryside. It’s one of our favorite things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire, especially in the fall!
- There are plenty of hikes to enjoy up and down the Seacoast, including the Stratham Hill Fire Tower and Pawtuckaway State Park.
- Biking the quiet, rural roads is another of our favorite things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire. There are also excellent bike trails, including the Rockingham Recreational Rail Trail.
- Exploring the various New Hampshire-covered bridges is always at the top of our list of favorite things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire.
With so many great things to do on the Seacoast of New Hampshire, it’s easy to see why so many have made this their go-to destination each year. If you haven’t yet experienced the quiet wonders of the Seacoast and the historic charms of Exeter, NH, 2023 is the year to do just that. Book your roomat our New Hampshire Bed and Breakfast today!
PrevPreviousThe Best Exeter New Hampshire Restaurants for 2023